Google uses over 200 on and off page factors when determining where to rank a website in search results. In this guide we are just going to focus on a few of the main ones to get you started.
For this step you will need access to the website code. The main idea for on-site optimization is to set up each page of your website to focus on 1-3 of your keywords. Your homepage should focus on your main keyword (the one with the highest search volume) and the other internal pages optimized for other keywords that are still valuable but may have a lower search volume.
Set up basic meta data (title tag and description tag).
Each page of your website has a title tag and description tag which can be found in the code. You need to edit this to add your keyword(s) for that page.
Your title should include your keyword(s) for that page and also your company name. The general rule for title length is 70 characters or less.
Your description meta tag should also contain your keyword for that page. The general rule for descriptions is 156 characters or less. If you need further clarification on meta tags a search for “how to add meta data” or “how to add meta tags” on Google will produce many helpful articles and videos. If you can’t access your website code or can’t find the meta tags your webmaster should be able to do this for you.
Create quality content for your page that includes your keyword(s)
The second part of on-page SEO that we’ll be focusing on is content. Use the following guidelines for writing content for your web pages:
• The majority of content on your page should be text (not all flash).
• The content on a page should be at least 300 words or more.
• Use your exact keyword(s) for that page at least a few times in the content.
• Content should be 100% unique and written by you or someone you trust. Do not copy content from other parts of the web or use an industry standard “templates”. If the text on your site matches text on another site it will have a very negative impact on your rankings.
• The content should be easy to read with the viewer in mind. Proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling are a must.
By implementing just the two steps above you should see a significant rise in your SEO rankings. Properly set meta tags and quality content that contains your keywords are two vital parts of on-page search engine optimization.
If you found this post useful please share it using the below links.